Free estate planning for tribal members

Martha Izenson is in Warm Springs this summer, helping tribal members with drafting wills, powers of attorney, and other estate planning services.

This service is free to members. Martha is a law school student at Lewis & Clark Law School.  Her Warm Springs office is at the Community Action Team building on campus, at 1136 Paiute Ave.  To schedule an appointment call 541-553-3148. Or email:
[email protected]

The estate planning service is a program of the Institute for Indian Estate Planning and Probate at Seattle University School of Law.

The institute has sponsored the program for the past decade in Warm Springs.
During that time, many tribal members have used the service.

Izenson is working with a supervising attorney to provide the estate planning services to tribal members. She met with Tribal Council earlier this week, explaining the services that are being provided.

The director of the Office of the Special Trustee, Charles Jackson, helps facilitate the program.

Especially for tribal members, having a will is recommended for anyone over 18.
And this is especially recommended for people who have ownership interest in land: If you die without a will, the American Indian Probate Reform Act will determine who will receive your trust land.

Services available this summer include writing a new will, or changing an existing one. The new or changed will would be drafted so as to comply with tribal, state and federal law.
You need a will if:
· You are over 18;
· You have, or may acquire, trust land, non-trust land, or personal property;

· You have children or step-children under 18;
· You want to leave property to someone who is not in your immediate, blood family;
· You want to leave income from an interest to a non-Indian spouse.
· You want to stop further fractionation of your land.

MySQL Queries: 84 Flush Rules DOMContentLoaded: ... PHP: 7.3.31 WordPress: 5.3.2