Families with children who will be 5 on or before September 1, 2019 can ensure a successful transition to Kindergarten by better understanding expectations. Did you know the single most important thing a parent can do to help their child: acquire language; prepare for school; and instill a love of learning – is to read to them!
Skills which lay the foundation for reading
- Concepts about books
- The alphabet
- Letter-sound relationships.
Incoming Kinder Kids should be:
- To listen to a story being read
- Familiar with books
- Able to hold a book and turn the pages
They should know:
- That pictures help tell the story
- That words are made up of sounds.
To be ready for Kindergarten children should be able to:
- Identify the first sound in a word
- Identify the letters in their first name
- Say the alphabet
- Pretend (practice) read.