Families support language development from the moment a child is born, by talking to them, making sounds to entertain them, by singing and interacting with them. Families with children who will be 5 on or before September 1, 2019 can ensure a successful transition to Kindergarten by better understanding the language skills your child needs to have.
Children need to understand basic concepts and words and be able to express themselves using language.
For be ready for kindergarten kids need to be able to:
- Say their first and last name when asked
- Follow simple 3 step oral directions (first, next, last)
- Express themselves using words and in complete sentences
- Ask for help
- Ask and answer questions
- Identify colors (blue, brown, red, black, yellow, green, orange, purple)
- Identify common objects (table, door)